Photo Of Multiple Families Min

We Work Hard To Make This Easy For You

We Work Hard To Make This Easy For You

Georgia Year’s Support For Surviving Spouses

If you have recently lost your spouse, the last thing you should have to worry about at this difficult time is whether you will be able to make ends meet. If you are worried that your spouse’s assets will be needed to pay off debts, it is important that you are aware of the right to “year’s support” in Georgia.

We here at Ruppenthal Law Firm, P.C., can help you petition to get the funds you need from your spouse’s estate to make ends meet so that you can focus on more important issues. Also, if you qualify, we may be able to get your property tax waived for one year for any Georgia real estate your spouse owned at death.

Honoring The Family’s Needs Above Creditors’ Demands

Georgia law specifically provides financial protection to spouses and minor children of decedents in setting aside one year’s worth of living expenses before debts are paid out of an estate. Year’s support can:

  • Allow your family’s living expenses (housing, food, etc.) to take precedence above the demands of creditors
  • Help you avoid property taxes for a period of time if the property is in the decedent’s name

If you are a surviving spouse, we know how important it is that you get the year’s support approval you need. Before you listen to your creditors and try to pay off all the debts, speak with an experienced probate lawyer like our founder, Bob Ruppenthal, who can inform you of your legal rights.

Contact Ruppenthal Law Firm, P.C., For Help Securing Year’s Support In Georgia

With decades of experience in probate-related legal matters, our attorneys have the knowledge you need to get the year’s support benefits to help you get by. Call our office in Fayetteville, Georgia, at 770-334-9699 or email us to schedule a consultation.